Friday, January 23, 2009

Native Pride!

I've become a mentor to Narragansett and Wampanoag children, a couple of times a month. It's really opened my eyes to a sad set of circumstances. I see first hand that native parents are predisposed with everyday events and are not paying attention to the teaching of their heritage to their children. I don't think they understand the seriousness of their actions. Yes, there are some parents that are gun ho, but for most it's a non issue. It breaks my heart that they're walking away from their heritage. On some days, with the kids, I do a show and tell, other days I talk about history and the structure of Narragansett and Wampanoag Tribes throughout history. Some really basic knowledge, like when the Puritans met the great Wampanoag Chief Massasoit. Massasoit, was not the Chiefs name. The term Massasoit was a Wampanoag system of rank, equal to "Supreme Chief". His name was Ousamequin, which meant Yellow Feather! At the time of the Pilgrims arrival, it's estimated that there were some 60 thousand Wampanoag Indians in the Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod area. Instilling pride into the children of who they are, is very rewarding to me. When I talk about their history, I have some of the kids sitting on the edge of their seats! I learned a long time ago, if you make the lecture interesting, they will listen and listen they do!

No comments: