Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Native American Name........

 
I'm honored to talk to you about my Mohawk name. Typically, in years past, Mohawk children were not named at birth, or by their parents. That duty fell upon the Clan Mother. Usually the child's name had a relationship or bearing to something the Clan Mother had seen or felt about the child, while in it's presence. A "Naming Ceremony" is a very special day for a Mohawk child. And it usually takes place between the ages of 2 to 6. Today, it has the aire of baptism in a christian family. But in the past it had more of a Mother Nature/Mother Earth connection.
 
I was raised by my grandparents and since we were not living on a Reserve or Reservation, we were not in close contact with a Clan Mother. Thus, the duty of giving  me my name, fell upon my grandfather, who was the next in line, under such conditions.  I was named Broken Feather at the age of 4 1/2. The thought behind my name is as follows.  During my birth it was discovered that the delivery would be an upside down breech birth.  Dwelling upon my life, my grandfather observed that I was always very tiny (light as a feather) and I was (always getting hurt/broken). As a result of his observations, he felt that the Creator would be pleased if he named me Broken Feather.  I was actually named Edward Clarence Smith, JR. at birth, and had my name changed to Edward Clarence Tremblay at the age of 1, by my Grandparents.  Chandler was the name I got at the age of 12 from legal adoption!
I ask the Creator to bring peace and health into your lives! I pray he has listened to my talks with him and has acted upon my requests!
 
Warmest Regards,
 
Edward Broken Feather

No comments: